CREATIVE BRAND STRATEGY - TASK 2: IDEATION & DESIGN DIRECTION

15.09.2023 - 04.10.2023 (Week 3 - Week 6)
Christie Angelica Bakhary (0350655)
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Creative Brand Strategy
Task 2: Ideation & Design Direction


INSTRUCTIONS

TASKS
This task is a continuation of the previous task, Task 1B, where we're to develop a design direction from the proposed brand campaign. My previous idea was to create a campaign for Hoi An to promote it as a romantic city. 

Progression
Firstly, I start to list out potential campaign names & taglines, as well as the touchpoints. Below is my very first draft:


After consulting and receiving the first feedback from Ms. Lilian, I got a better understanding of the direction. Thus, I started to list down all the touchpoints and looked up references on Pinterest. For the design direction, I chose a collage art style with a vibrant color palette, as it can portray both the vintage style (through the collage art) and the vibrance of Hoi An city (through the color palette). Below is the second draft:



Based on the previous feedback from Ms.Lilian, where Ms suggested changing the direction to be more subtle, I now have a much clearer view of the direction and how to make it better. With Ms. guidance, I started to change my overall view to more classic, elegant, and romantic vibes/looks. Same with the previous direction, I still wanted to keep the collage art style for overall touchpoints, but arranging it to be more tidy and minimalist.

Final Submission


FEEDBACKS
Week 4

Name and tagline are ok

● Consider the color palette, can use vibrant colors with calm colors (such as hot pink

with cream) to balance it out, looking at its very cultural and ancient city, and also the

campaign itself

● Put the graphic illust idea to the touchpoints as well.

● Put a description on each of the touchpoints references

● Maybe can use a different color for the logo itself and for the branding itself

● Instead of writing ‘typography’ for the typo references, better to write ‘logo references’


Week 5

● The art direction refers too much to the current trend, which may not reflect and really suitable for the brand campaign itself ● The references shown don’t show the romance aspect and more toward punk rock. Thus, needs to be reconsidered again. ● The first color palette is more suitable than the second one ● For collage art direction still has the opportunity to be used, however, it needs to be controlled. For example, overlapping several images together and using typography in subtle ways. ● Typeface still can be used, but it’s better to use it in a very clean way where there is a lot of white space and focusing on the collage itself, instead of going with a distressed & randomly placed graphic ● For the promotional video, it’s better if the typography comes out very subtle and gently. ● Overall, some of the art direction can still be used, however, it needs to be used differently to create the right sense of mood for the campaign strategy.



REFLECTIONS
Experience
This task is fun but also quite a challenge for me. The task itself like doing research and finding references for touchpoints and collateral, is familiar for me as I already did this before in BCI. However, the challenging part is to find a directiion for a city branding, which is very new topic for me. Thus, I had some hard times figuring out what direction should I go for. However, in the end I managed to complete it (big thanks to Ms. Lilian that also help me to give a clear view and understanding).

Observations
I observed that this task required us to not only focused on the campaign theme or vibes, but also to focused more on the target audiences, objective & purposes, key messages, its' values, and etc.

Findings
Through this task, I found myself stumbled upon some differents directions several times, which makes me hard to decide a right direction by myself and do really need a guidance. Thus, Ms. Lilian & other classmates guidance do played a big role here on my second task.

FURTHER READING


Brand communication goals deliver the right message at the right time to the right people. Effective brand communication begins with strategic clarity, be clear as to what your brand represents, and send a clear message to your customers. 

Comments

Popular Posts