PUBLISHING DESIGN - TASK 3A: BOOK

07.05.2023 - 06.06.2023 (Week 5 - Week 10)
Christie Angelica Bakhary (0350655)
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Publishing Design
Task 3A: Book


INSTRUCTIONS

LECTURES
All lectures 1 to 5 have been completed in Task 1: Exercises

TASKS
This task is a continuation from the previous tasks, in which we're to make a book (physical and e-book) out of the story and visuals that we've created. 

As for my chosen book size, I followed the one that I've done in task 1 which is 162mm x 226mm.

Fig. 1.1: Chosen Book Size


Book Content/Story & Visuals
Below are my story content and visuals from the previous tasks:

 
Fig. 1.2: Final Story Content

Fig. 1.3: Final Visuals


References
For the layout references, I opted something simple

Fig. 2.1: First Reference 

Fig. 2.2: Second Reference 

Fig. 2.3: Third Reference 


Grid System and Typefaces Options
Below are the margin and columns options that I tried:

Fig. 3.1: Grid Options 

#1st Option
Top: 34 mm
Bottom: 34 mm
Inside: 24 mm
Outside:16 mm
Columns: 2
Gutter: 7 mm

#2nd Option
Top: 33 mm
Bottom: 50 mm
Inside: 25 mm
Outside:27 mm
Columns: 2
Gutter: 7 mm

#3rd Option
Top: 70 mm
Bottom: 48 mm
Inside: 25 mm
Outside:26 mm
Columns: 2
Gutter: 6 mm

#4th Option
Top: 36 mm
Bottom: 48 mm
Inside: 25 mm
Outside:26 mm
Columns: 2
Gutter: 6 mm

From the options above, I was contemplating between the 3rd and 4th one. However, I finally chose the fourth one so i can align the header text better.

Typefaces option:
For the header typeface, I looked for serif font as it matches more with my visuals and storyline. Whereas for body texts, I looked for both serif and sans-serif that matches best with headline typeface I chose.

#1
Headline: Maragsa, 26pt
Subtext: Gill Sans Std (Light), 8pt
Caption: ITC Garamond Std (Book Narrow Italic), 19pt
Body Text: Gill Sans MT (Regular), 9pt

#2
Headline: Myanmar MN (Bold), 22pt
Subtext:
Caption: ITC Garamond Std, 19pt
Body Text: ITC Garamond Std (Book), 9pt


Layout Progression
Based from the references, I created few layout attempts:


Fig. 4.1: First Layout Attempts

Fig. 4.2: Second Layout Attempts

For chapter 3, I experienced some problem there as apparently I only illustrated 1 word from the whole chapter 3's paragraphs. However, I decided to just re-use the illustration and cropped it to make it more interesting.

Fig. 4.3: Final Content Layout 


After I'm satisfied with the final layout attempt, I then start to make the book cover with illustrating new visuals.

Fig. 4.4: Front Cover Illustration

Fig. 4.5: Back Cover Illustration

 Below are my cover page layout attempts:

Fig. 4.6: Front Cover Attempt #!

Fig. 4.6: Front Cover Attempt #2


Printing Progression
After I'm satisfied with the layout, I first started to print 1 page of the book in black & white on campus to check the layout, colors, and etc.

Fig. 5.1: Print Test in B&W

Then, I start to print out the actual color book at ArchPrint, which i requested for ivory paper material for both cover and content pages. This book cost me a total of RM79:' that I think isn't worth it at all, as the result came out not that good, especially the binding..
Fig. 5.2: Book Binding Problem 1 

Fig. 5.3: Book Binding Problem 2


Final Submission
Final Thumbnail




Fig. 6.1: Final BookThumbnail - With Guides (PDF)



Fig. 6.2: Final BookThumbnail (PDF)


Final Cover Page Design


Fig. 6.3: Final Cover Page Design (JPG & PDF)

Final Spreads

Fig. 6.4: Final Spreads: Half Title (JPG)


Fig. 6.5: Final Spreads: Full Title (JPG)

Fig. 6.6: Final Spreads: Contents Page (JPG)

Fig. 6.7: Final Spreads: Introduction (JPG)

Fig. 6.8: Chapter 1, Spread 1 (JPG)


Fig. 6.9: Chapter 1, Spread 2 (JPG)

Fig. 6.10: Chapter 1, Spread 3 (JPG)

Fig. 6.11: Chapter 1, Spread 4 (JPG)

Fig. 6.12: Chapter 2, Spread 1 (JPG)

Fig. 6.13: Chapter 2, Spread 2 (JPG)

Fig. 6.14: Chapter 2, Spread 3 (JPG)

Fig. 6.15: Chapter 3, Spread 1 (JPG)

Fig. 6.16: Chapter 3, Spread 2 (JPG)

Fig. 6.17: Chapter 4, Spread 1 (JPG)

Fig. 6.18: Chapter 4, Spread 2 (JPG)

Fig. 6.19: Chapter 4, Spread 3 (JPG)

Fig. 6.20: Chapter 4, Spread 4 (JPG)

Fig. 6.21: Chapter 4, Spread 5 (JPG)


Fig. 6.21: Reference Page (JPG)

Fig. 6.22: Final Book (PDF) 


Final Book Printout
Material: 
Front and Back Cover: 160gsm Ivory Paper
Content Pages: 120gsm Ivory Paper

Total Cost: RM79

Fig. 6.23: Final Printed Book, Cover Page

Fig. 6.24: Final Printed Book, Back Cover Page

Fig. 6.25: Final Printed Book, Introduction Page

Fig. 6.26: Final Printed Book, Chapter 1 Page

Fig. 6.27: Final Printed Book, Chapter 1 Page

Fig. 6.28: Final Printed Book, Chapter 2 Page

Fig. 6.29: Final Printed Book, Chapter 4 Page

Fig. 6.30: Final Printed Book, Chapter 14Page


E-Book (FlipHTML)


Comments

Popular Posts